Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Half way there!

It has been awhile since I last updated this blog....I am going to blame it on my having been sick and being embarrassed that I haven't been on the bike training for about 2 weeks. This past Saturday my team and I were slated to ride between 40-50 miles. I was very nervous b/c I haven't really been training b/c of having been sick but there is no way to get over a fear unless you face it....so I did!



Saturday morning I drove over the Golden Gate Bridge to meet the team in Sausalito. We all parked behind the bike store to started to unload our bikes and prepare for the ride. I was having issues that morning, not really being able to do anything right, not speaking properly....and so I was a bit nervous that was a sign as to how the ride would go.



This is a nice ride, but there is a lot of traffic to deal with....and for those of you that know me well and know the story of my Pa....you know that I don't want cars near me at all! And judging how my morning had started off I was a bit concerned about sharing the road with cars. Since we ride in big groups I knew that I would be okay...but it is still a fear of mine.

The ride started off easy enough. About 7 miles into the ride (if that) we started to climb up Camino Alto. It is a nice climb (did I really just say that it was a nice climb???). The top came faster than the last 2 times I had cycled this route. This route takes us through small cities (Ross and Fairfax to name a few). Once getting through Fairfax then we head up a hill on Sir Francis Drake Blvd. The tempature was hot and the hill was in the direct sunlight. I made it up the hill and felt great and then took the back end of it as fast as I felt comfortable...I got up to 30+mph...fast for someone like me that doesn't like speed!

After climbing one more hill, we got to the halfway point for the 40milers. That is where one of my teammates and I decided that we were going to add the extra loop to make our ride that day 50 miles. My friend Christine asked me what my distance my last ride was and when I responded with about 27 miles she looked at me like I was on crack! But I had made up my mind...I felt great and I was going to go for the 50miles!

The loop up to Skywalker ranch was a gradual hill...it felt good...sort of like spreading your wings...kind of. :) Anyway we looped back down the hill and cut left towards the Sir Francis Drake hill.....I was starting to get a bit tired (well heck I had been sick for about a week and I hadn't been training!). I was halfway up the hill when I quickly realized that my sportsdrink that I was drinking might be coming around for a second visit...meaning I was pretty dang close to barfing on myself! I was cycling uphill, in heat, in direct sunlight, pushing myself beyond my limits and I thought I was going to fall over barfing...horrible visual I know..but I did really think that was going to happen. I made it to the top of the hill, but barely. Once at the top of the hill I got off my bike to wait for my coach and teammate to get up the hill. I took that moment to drink and eat more, breathe and focus on not barfing! It worked b/c the feeling soon passed. As soon as I saw my teammates round the corner I knew that I was good to get back up on my bike!

We were close to finishing at this point...we had about 10 miles left to go and just one more hill. Which was freaking me out a bit. My legs were getting tired and I had ran out of water. We made it through the small cities and soon enough the final hill, Camino Alto, was there in front of me! I made it up the hill pretty quickly...much to my surprise and then the downhill began!

I ended up riding 50.5 miles that day....the longest I have ever cycled! I did it! I was so proud of myself. I even finished feeling like I could have cycled a bit more! I am half way there with my training!

As I finished my ride last weekend I felt my Pa smiling at me....tell me, "I knew you could do it Pete." Off and on during the ride that day I felt very close to my Pa...something that I hadn't felt in over 7 years. I have known for a long time that I would pick up cycling but I never knew how much it would mean to me....I am raising money for cancer, I am helping make it possible for people to live longer lives and I am feeling the presence of my Pa every weekend with me. Who could ask for anything more? I sure can't. In light of everything happening in the world, at least I can feel at peace for a few hours every weekend.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support....This weekend I have another 50+ mile ride. Let's hope that it goes as great (minus the barfing feeling) as this past weekends ride.

Until later all....

No comments: