Thursday, October 30, 2008

Aches, pains and fundraising!

I missed last weeks 70 mile ride b/c I had a horrific pain in my neck. I woke up on Sunday not being able to first of all get out of bed b/c my neck hurt so bad and second of all I couldn't turn my head to the left (which as you can imagine is vital for cycling, driving, etc!). The left side of my neck was swollen and I had no idea what to do but to ice my neck as much as I could. The pain was so bad that I couldn't hold anything in my left hand b/c it put too much pressure on my neck.

After a few days I called the doctor (b/c really it was going to go away on it's own!) and got an appointment to get it looked at. The mobility was coming back into my neck, but it still hurt a lot. After some investigation on the doctor's part he realized that I had scar tissue built up in my neck (probably from one of the car accidents I have been....yes that was plural people...but only one accident was my fault and no one was injured and my Grandma got a nice new car out of it!).

I was told that it will take about 6 weeks for the pain to really go away and to have my neck and shoulder on the mend.

To top it off my knees have been having moments of being fine and then having longer moments where they aren't doing so well. More and more lately I have felt older than I am and in all honesty I through out the question that I hate to admit that I have even thought, let alone said, "Why me?" Lame I know...but I really don't quite understand why I have to have the knee issues and now this mysterious neck thing! I am obviously working around these issues and still doing what I want to do, but it makes it difficult!

And as if that wasn't enough....my fundraising hasn't been going well. The economic downturn has hit everyone and people are finding it harder and harder to donate b/c of the unknown of the future. Who can blame them? I am able to continue receiving donations through the end of November...I just hope that people will continue to donate. Because really...who wants to be considered pro cancer?

In all seriousness, the generosity of the people, even with the downturn of the economy, has been so great! People that I didn't even think would donate have. I am constantly amazed by how generous people can be.

Is my dream of living in a cancer free world just that...a dream? I hope not! The cases of cancer have been on the rise, and granted yes the treatments that are being created have helped prolong some people's lives and have saved others, but I long for the day where I won't get a phone call or an email about another person with this dreaded disease.

Years ago when I first joined the TNT cross country ski team I knew that I had found my purpose. Some people feel like they are on this planet to be the next CFO of a large organization, or to be a mother/father or to be a rock star/movie star....all of those are great ambitions. I know that I am here to help make a difference in cancer research. Will you join me?

No comments: